About Gastric Girl
- Laurie (TheSafestScents.com)
- Tomball, TX, United States
- My name is Laurie. I'm 34 and I live in a suburb of Houston, TX. My life isn't super exciting or ultra dramatic, but I love it! My blogs are just a peek into my life as I know it. I'm quite random and have an opinion on everything, but I love everyone's aspect on things, even if I disagree. The world would be quite boring if not! :-)
Within 5 minutes of getting home from the hospital last Friday, I hopped on the scale (yes, I know I'm a freak!). I had gone up to 169.6 from around 163 or so. WOW! I thought I would have lost lots of weight b/c of not eating for several days, etc. Well, things are progressing again, and I'm down to an all time low of 155.6. So, drum roll... I am HALF the girl I used to be. It's crazy.. unreal! And the sad thing is, I still see fat girl in the mirror. I don't know how to make her go away. Any one have any ideas?
I can't go to the gym for awhile. I told John I overdid it yesterday, and he almost freaked b/c he thought I went to the gym.. but I just overdid it in general with trying to declutter my room. I pulled a muscle in my NECK of all places... wtf?! I am going to buy a bike very soon. I osld my recumbent bike and made $200 on it. So that's going to the REAL bike fund. Bikers, i am thinking of getting a TREK bike, a hybrid. Is it really a good investment? I haven't ridden a bike in years, but I am one of those people who want the best.. Or am I being foolish, and should just get a Schwinn?
Sorry again for the rambling nonsense... I'm good at that! :)
Oh, if anyone uses Facebook, feel free to add me! email@example.com is the email it's linked to.
Hugs to all!
I am back from the hospital! Thanks to everyone for your well wishes, and thanks to Jil for keeping you all updated!
As I had posted last week, I've been having a lot of stomach aches. Apparently, you shouldn't dismiss that as gas! I called Dr. W on Tuesday afternoon to make an appointment, and of course he was booked solid. I just asked his nurse if he could try to fit me in, and she asked what was wrong, and then called Dr. W, who instructed me to go to the emergency room immediately! I started panicking, and was still at work, so I had to go tell my boss that I might not be in the next day, and then went home to grab a few things. My friend Michelle picked me up at home, and took me to the hospital. They ran lots of labwork on me, and followed my surgeons testing protocol to see what's wrong. After my CATscan, it was revealed that I had gallstones. I was admitted, and then finally got my room around 1:30 AM.
Wednesday morning, Dr. W came in to see me, and asked me to describe all my pain (shooting pains feeling like gas, lasting about 4-10 hours after eating in my 3 worst occasions, constant full feeling, no pain relief from gas x, etc.).. he then pushed on my stomach in a few places, and some hurt.. he then said that I was the proud owner of a hernia! A GI Doctor then came to see me, and I told the same story, and he told me the same thing. Basically, the pain I described can be one of three things - gallbladder (check!), hernia (check!), or an ulcer (thankfully, not!). I then got a HIDA scan, and it revealed that my gallbladder was not inflamed at the moment, so the culprit of the pain was the hernia. While I was in the HIDA scan, Dr. J came to visit me. He's another surgeon that does RNY/Lap Band, etc. He told me that I was going to have surgery at 5pm to fix my hernia and to remove the gallbladder.. it wasn't bothering me now, and as I needed to have the hernia repaired, they might as well remove the gallbladder. While I was finding all of this out, I was still in the HIDA Scan, where I could not move. What a way to find out you're going under the knife in just 3 short hours!!
As soon as I got back to my room, I lost it.. I started crying, freaking out.. I know it's a normal surgery, but the whole hernia thing really freaked me out. I know they can get really bad, and I know if I hadn't gone to the doctor, that I would be in much worse shape, and who knows what could have happend! I just had everything running through my mind at that moment and was panicking again! I called several people and got the chain going so everyone would find out. I got to see my mom and Michelle as I was getting rolled into the operating room, and when I got out, I got to see them as well as Jil and my boyfriend John! :) My mom hadn't gotten to meet John yet, so what great circumstances to, right? LOL
Everything went well with the surgery. I had a lot of scar tissue from my RNY, which is to be expected. The one risk that I was most nervous about (strangulated intestines) was the one I got.. Go figure! The surgery was about two longer than he told me it would be. I ended up getting to my room around 10 pm, when I went in around 5.
Here it is, Sunday morning.. and I'm feeling pretty good, but I am sore. Yesterday I was in a lot of pain, mostly gas pain. My stomach is still quite swollen, and I am about to meet my boyfriend's family, and wondering what the heck I'm going to wear that isn't going to kill my incisions.. lol I get to go back to work on Wednesday (WHOO HOO!)
Sorry for the rambling with everything.. I'm not a great writer, and just say things as I think them! :-P I hope everyone is well, and thanks again for all of the well wishes!
Hugs to all!
It's really hard being so far out and resisting temptations that are out there! The past few weeks I've been terrible... re-introducing diet coke back into my life.. having a beer... I even had a piece of chocolate cake yesterday. Yes, I paid for it, but why didn't I think before I put it in my mouth?! GEEZ!
Anyways - the scale this morning said 160.4, and my goal is to see the 150s this week. I've seen 160.4 before.. and even gone back up to 165, but haven't seen below... So I'm ready!! :)
I hope everyone had a nice weekend! I had one of my dear friends get engaged over the weekend.. I'm so excited for her! So, I may possibly be in 2 weddings this year.. that's motivation enough to try to get into better shape! :)
Well, it's just a quick blog today - wanted to check in, and declare that I'm making some changes! :) All of you hold me accountable! :)
I'm off today - I may take a little nap to try to get rid of my headache before going to the gym! :)
Hugs to all!
- Lowered the minutes on my mobile phone ($10/month savings)
- Removed a few other features on my mobile ($5/month savings)
- Lowered internet plan with Comcast from $45.95 to $24.95 ($21.00/month savings)
- Canceled movie channels with Comcast ($25.00/month savings)
- Called a credit card company to ask for a lower interest rate, since they were trying to kill me... They went from 22.99% to 18.99% - still crappy, but better than before!
- Canceled my home phone ($38/month savings)
- Called my auto insurance place to get my defensive driving discount ($12.00/month savings)
Soo... I'm now saving roughly $110 a month!
Anyone else have any good ideas?
I don't eat out very often. I definitely slowed down on my clothing purchases since I've been stuck in the same 10 lb range forever..
Hope to hear some good ideas from you all!
As far as my credit cards go, I'm doing the debt snowball that Dave Ramsey suggests. :-)
hugs to all!!
I went to Weight Watchers yesterday and had a 0.2 lb gain. I was devastated.. why? No clue! I could have gone to the restroom and re-weighed and probably been fine.. but I was really bummed about it! And honestly I should be surprised that it was only 0.2. I had gone to Charleston for a business trip for 3 days the week before and ate like a pig.. and then Saturday night I had a massive drink... So, had I not done these terrible things, I bet I'd probably be in the 150s.. UGH!
I need to get back on the ball with things. I've done very well today. I've snacked a little, but nothing compared to what I have been. Wish me luck!
Sorry this is so random and garbled.. I'm grumpy today! lol
I have been the worst blogger ever since I started this thing, but I am really wanting to start blogging at least once a week.. I think that's a hefty little goal for myself, but I'm sure I can do it.
What's new with me?
- I've been dating a great guy named John for about a month and a half now. He's cute, he's fun, he's patient with me and my craziness, and he's active! That's great for me so I don't get lazy ever again! WOO HOO!
- I'm currently wearing a pair of jeans that are size 10. WHA?! Yep, 10! Granted, many 10's don't fit me, but this one does, and maybe a few other pairs out there!
- I'm holding at 163ish right now... I'm doing Weight Watchers but fell off the wagon a bit last week with my business trip.. this week is my recovery week! lol
- I love bullet points.. they make things look important!
- I'm working on getting my finances under control. I want to be able to POSSIBLY do plastics one of these days, and with my current financial situation, that's just not possible.
- I drank a beer last night.. Yes, it had bubbles... and yes, it was damn good, and I may even have another quite soon!
- I've had about 3 diet cokes a week. I feel worse about this than I do about the beer.. why? B/c Diet cokes are free at work, and I don't want to get back into the 2-3 a day habit that I used to be in.
- I'm addicted to coffee. Well, this isn't new, but it's a confession. The highly caffeinated stuff is the best! lol
- Last month, John took me out to a shooting range, and I absolutely LOVED it! It was liberating, and I wasn't half bad at it! lol
- I want to save the money to buy a bike, and possibly ride the MS150 in 2010. I doubt I'll own my bike by the 2009 timeframe, and I want to actually make sure I can ride it.. it's been YEARS!
Well, that's about it on my side of the world. I do read all of your blogs ladies, and I will really try to start commenting more often. This bad blogger will try to make right with the world! :)
Love to you all, and I hope your 2009 is wonderful so far! :)