About Gastric Girl
- Laurie (TheSafestScents.com)
- Tomball, TX, United States
- My name is Laurie. I'm 34 and I live in a suburb of Houston, TX. My life isn't super exciting or ultra dramatic, but I love it! My blogs are just a peek into my life as I know it. I'm quite random and have an opinion on everything, but I love everyone's aspect on things, even if I disagree. The world would be quite boring if not! :-)
I met with Dr. A (yes, that's the one, Kim H!), and he had me describe my pain. That coupled with the fact that I feel a lot better today after taking a single dose of Prevacid almost completely confirmed to him that it is indeed an ulcer. He does want to make certain, as well as to find out how big, and where it is located, so I have an endoscopy scheduled for Tuesday morning. I was already taking Weds-Friday off of work because my cousin will be in town, so now I have to take another day off... wow, all this vacation time just wittling away! LOL That's ok though, health first!
I left work early yesterday at noon b/c I was hurting so bad, and now it is today at 8:30 almost and I'm making up my hours and trying to get a ton of stuff done so I'm not causing my ulcer to grow gargantuan out of stress!
Anyways, just wanted to throw a quick update out there. I'll update again Tuesday after I get out of my post anesthesia loopiness fest!
Hugs to all!
1. Put your iTunes, Windows Media Player, mp3 player, etc. on shuffle.
2. For each question, press the next button to get your answer.
3. YOU MUST WRITE THAT SONG NAME/BAND NAME DOWN NO MATTER HOW SILLY IT SOUNDS
IF SOMEONE SAYS 'ARE YOU OKAY' YOU SAY?
Technique - Linkin Park
HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF?
Walk on the Ocean - Toad the Wet Sprocket
WHAT DO YOU LIKE IN A GUY/GIRL?
Window in the Skies - U2
HOW DO YOU FEEL TODAY?
Falling - Roy Orbison
WHAT IS YOUR LIFE'S PURPOSE?
Man on the Moon - R.E.M.
WHAT'S YOUR MOTTO?
Dirt - Alice in Chains
WHAT DO YOUR FRIENDS THINK OF YOU?
Forever Young - Interpol
WHAT DO YOUR PARENTS THINK OF YOU?
Burning Down the House - Talking Heads (hahaha)
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT VERY OFTEN?
Sometimes - Erasure
WHAT IS 2 + 2?
Throw Me Away - Korn
YOUR MAKING LOVE SONG:
Feels So Good (Show Me Your Love) - Lina Santiago
BREAK UP TO MAKE UP SONG:
Wave of Mutilation - The Pixies (haha)
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR BEST FRIEND?
Video Killed the Radio Star - The Buggles
WHAT IS YOUR LIFE STORY?
A Bad Dream - Keane (Geezz)
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU GROW UP?
Champaigne Supernova - Oasis
YOUR LIFE'S PURPOSE:
I'm Impressed - They Might Be Giants
WHAT DO YOU THINK WHEN YOU SEE THE PERSON YOU LIKE?
Telling Them - Social Distortion
YOUR DANCE ON THE TABLE SONG:
Love Song - Sara Bareilles
WHAT WILL YOU DANCE TO AT YOUR WEDDING?
Build Me Up Buttercup - NOFX
WHAT WILL THEY PLAY AT YOUR FUNERAL?
Bring Me to Life - Evanescence
WHAT BEST SUITS YOUR PERSONALITY?
Total Eclipse of the Heart - Nikki French
YOUR FEEL GOOD SONG:
Promiscuous Girl - Nelly Furtado (LOL)
WHAT IS YOUR HOBBY/INTEREST?
1234 - Feist (nope, not into math lol)
WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST FEAR?
Sexy Love - Neyo (um, no)
WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST SECRET?
Fade into You - Mazzy Star
WHAT DO YOU WANT RIGHT NOW?
6 Underground - Sneaker Pimps
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR FRIENDS?
You Spin Me Round - Dead Or Alive
WHAT WILL YOU POST THIS AS?
Piece of Me - Britney Spears
Yesterday, I left work at noon because I'm still having bad stomach pains. I saw Dr. W yesterday, and he seems to think it's an ulcer as well. He referred me to a gastroenterologist that I'll be seeing today at 2:15. I'm guessing that I'll have to have a scope done to confirm or rule out an ulcer, and we'll go from there. I'm actually not feeling too terrible today. I've been eating graham crackers and saltines.. and having lunch meat/tuna/cottage cheese for my protein. I'm just trying to stick to things that don't make me feel like crap. I did a liquid diet for a day last week, and that day I felt fine, but the next day I felt like poo again.. SIGH
Poor John even got to see me cry for the first time this weekend.. I'm just so sick of feeling bad. I wasn't even feeling terrible at that moment, but it's just a lot of discomfort and it got the better of me.
Anyways, that's about it for now. I'll post another update soon when I know more.
Beyond that, my world seems to be changing quite rapidly. John put an offer in on a house over the weekend. They countered, he countered back, and they accepted. So now goes the inspection, the financial stuff, and the preliminary closing date is July 23, a month from today! WOW! I have a lot of stuff to do before then.. lol
At home, the A/C was out last night.. they came to repair it today, and a new one is needed. They did a quick fix with a new part, but he couldn't guarantee how long it would last.. SIGH!! I wish I could help my mom out more financially, but I surely can't afford $5-6K! EEK!
Anyways, I have a lot going on at work too.. just wanted to put in a post as I know it's been awhile!
Hugs to all!
Anyway, here goes...
1) I am very happily divorced.
2) My favorite colors are red, black, grey and pink. I'm kind of digging orange a lot right now too.
3) Now that I am no longer super morbidly obese, my obsession with shoes and purses has gone down the totem pole a little bit.. maybe because I can actually find cute clothes?
4) I am a recovering shopaholic.
5) My boyfriend is one of the most fiscally responsible people I know. And he still likes me! lol
6) I recently confessed to my mom that I used to sneak out of the house all the time as a teenager. It felt good. lol
7) I am truly blessed to have such wonderful friends, both local and through the blogosphere. Is that a word?
8) For the first time in my life, I really like where my life is heading.
9) I want to go back to school. Not for an accounting degree, but to become a personal trainer, dietitian, or gym teacher. I want my profession to keep me accountable with my life.
10) I LOVE music. I love Indie Rock, Pop, Alternative, etc... I go through phases where I like very off the wall things. I cannot work if I don't have music in the background.
11) I've never seen Titanic, nor do I have any desire to. I know what happens. Why waste my time? LOL
12) I have been extremely frustrated with my job for about 6 months now.
13) I get a massage once a month, and it is one of my vices.
14) I'm debating whether I should dump my blackberry and have a normal phone so I can save $30 a month. It's sad that I want to keep it b/c I can get Facebook on my phone. lol
15) I am 5'6". Yeah, I'm reaching here, and I'm only on #15!
16) I have a lead foot. I hate driving slow.
17) If I could go anywhere in the world, I would pick Greece. I would love to see all of the ancient ruins/architecture. I would be awestruck, I know!
18) I'm very tempted to rename this 20 things about me..
19) I am a pen klepto. If I use a pen to sign a receipt, I often walk off with the pen, not even realizing.
20) I'm smaller now than I was at any point in high school, maybe even middle school.
21) At one point, I owned over 60 pairs of jeans, in a range of sizes from 20-32. I couldn't get rid of anything b/c I wanted to get back in the smaller sizes, and I didn't have enough faith in myself to get rid of the bigger sizes if I shrunk out of them.
22) I hate yardwork.
23) I still have a relationship with my ex-husband's daughter who is 12 now. I adore her.
24) I really like my ex-husband's first ex wife. We understand each other. lol
25) I wish there was a Trader Joe's in Texas. I've heard so many good things about that store!
26) I love Target. It's one of my favorite stores.
27) I am in the process of collecting Continental One Pass miles. I don't ever want to have to pay for travel again. lol
28) I read the Twilight series over the course of a week. I loved it!
29) I read the Harry Potter series over the course of 5 months. I also loved it! I've also seen all of the movies that have been released so far.
30) My favorite types of movies are cheesy comedies. I love the 80's brat pack movies, The Wedding Singer, etc. I love to keep it light hearted.
31) I have been at the same job for almost 7 years. That's a long time!!
32) I worked for the Houston Rockets NBA team for almost 3 years. I had a good time working there, and sometimes still miss it.
33) I love ice hockey. I have season tickets to the Houston Aeros AHL team.
34) I am not athletically inclined at all. I once got a concussion from a basketball hitting my head.
35) I have a chihuahua named Roxcee. She was my gift to myself when I was going through my divorce. My ex husband was allergic to animals.
36) I was born in upstate New York. Most of my family still lives up there.
37) I've reunited with many of my cousins, aunts and uncles through Facebook. I <3>
What do I do, you ask? I eat. Things I shouldn't. Granted, I don't eat like Pre C&P Laurie, but damn, I don't eat like I should. It's work. I think about food CONSTANTLY at work. I snack constantly. Yesterday snacks consisted of hearts of palm with a few sprays of Ceasar dressing, some sour patch kids, Cheerios snack mix, etc. Yeah, hearts of palm are a great snack at only 20 calories for a whole freakin jar. But SOUR PATCH KIDS? Um.. no! There is NOTHING healthy about these.. sure, they're fat free, but honestly, I think fat is better than sugar in our case. I've also taken a newfound liking to frappuccino lights at Starbucks. I don't give a flip if they're light.. they're still laden with sugar and there are a million other things that would be a healthier solution. I'm trying to quit the Starbucks.. I really think they put something in there to make you addicted, why else would we pay $3 for a drink? It's freakin ridiculous.
Some theories on why we do what we do... thank you so much to Jil for helping provide these theories!
- if we don't completely succeed (ie. reach our ultimate goal), we can justify not being happy with ourselves, or have the "what now" syndrome. If we are not at goal, we still have something to blame besides ourselves.
- what if things are still not what we thought they would be. Our fat was a crutch.. still is actually. What if we do not find our happiness that we didn't have b/c we were fat once we aren't fat anymore?
- If we reach goal, we have to figure out how to DEAL with issues, vs. just silencing ourselves with our former best friend, food.
This crap needs to stop. I have lost close to 160 pounds. I can lose another 10. I have a pouch, not a football sized stomach like I used to. Sure, it may have stretched a bit, but it is still nowhere near what it used to be. I need to stop finding comfort in my old things, and learn to deal with life. I have so many wonderful things happening in my life, and although work is driving me mad lately, I can't let my thoughts win. I'm better than that.. we all are!!
Friday night, we went over to my friend Michelle's house and had dinner and watched a movie.. well, everyone but me watched a movie. I fell asleep! LOL I woke up after about 45 minutes and stood up to go to the restroom, and I almost blacked out. I got dizzy and my world turned black.. but within a minute I was fine again! Not sure if I overheated since someone covered me up with a blanket and I was hot.. or my blood sugar may have bottomed out.. or who knows what else!! It's crazy though!!
Saturday, we went over to Jil's and swam and had a lovely time. I only got a little bit of sun on my shoulders.. the rest of me is just so pale and pasty that I reflected the sunshine! LOL
John is house hunting right now, so after we left Jil's, we went to a place called the Great Indoors (very cool store, but absolutely unaffordable!), and then we went to Lowe's so he could price appliances that he'll need.
Sunday, we went to go look at a few houses.. One was a definite no, one was a possibility, and the last one there is definitely some interest there, so we'll see what happens! Also, John asked me if I'd move in with him when he moves! YAY! LOL I am really excited about that. He's such a wonderful person, and I'm truly lucky that I met him.
So.... in just a few months time, I will be living with John. And in just a few months time, I have a LOT to do. I have a lot of stuff I want to go through and get rid of.. it's overwhelming but exciting at the same time. It's amazing how in the blink of an eye, everything in your life changes instantly!
As far as my funk goes... I can tell I'm coming out of it. I ate better this weekend... got lots of walking in. I can't wait to go back to the gym though, and make it part of my routine again!
Now I need to work on catching up with my blog friends! :) Miss you all!!!!
I really am sick of being a bitchy, grumpy mess! This weekend, I'm going to focus on regaining control of things. I'm going to step back into the gym, try to forge a loving relationship with water, and just try to relax and de-stress. I will yank my friend's copy of Don't Sweat the Small Things and see if I can get some words of wisdom from there as well. Ha!
Kim J, YES, when you get back from England, we're going to have to kick each other's rears into shape.
Kim H, while the 30 day challenge sounds amazing, I am not going to do it. I think instead my focus should be 3 - 5 gym days a week, and walking the rest. I know I'm way too hard on myself and will just set myself up for failure. Once I'm back on track, I'll be gung ho to go! lol
I've been thinking a lot lately (well, my brain never stops grinding) about life in general. I just feel kind of lost right now. My work consumes me (not by choice), and I am just overloaded. When I leave here, I'm just so drained and rarely do too much after work the past few weeks. I think my EBV (chronic fatigue) is super active right now too, b/c I have absolutely ZERO energy. A vacation sounds divine... my cousin is flying down from New York in a few weeks, so I'll have 3 days off of work, but before that is my deadline so I'll probably be exhausted the whole time he's here! ugh!
Well, I hope you ALL have a lovely, wonderful weekend. I hope to be back in better spirits come Monday. :-)
I haven't had time to exercise. Kim H, I am going to do the challenge, but I'm going to have to start it on Monday, as I will likely have 10-12 hour days all week, and I don't want to set myself up for failure! Good luck this week, and I'll be joining you next week!
I also might as well be taking caffeine intraveinously. I have been getting venti skinny drinks at Starbucks the past two mornings, and sadly, I only feel halfway awake still. I think a detox is in order once I make it through this week - but until then, I will have my venti and I will smile about it!! LOL
I am not weighing myself this week either. I have always retained water, and especially since I am on a coffee diet and am at my desk about 50-55 hours this week.... again, I don't want to set myself up for failure. I weighed in on Sunday at 158, and as long as I'm back there by this Sunday, all is good! LOL
I've just been living for the weekends lately, and when the weekend is here, I'm nowhere near a computer! I WILL catch up on everyone's lives soon, and get ready to be bombarded with comments when I do! :)
Miss you all!!!