About Gastric Girl

My photo
Tomball, TX, United States
My name is Laurie. I'm 34 and I live in a suburb of Houston, TX. My life isn't super exciting or ultra dramatic, but I love it! My blogs are just a peek into my life as I know it. I'm quite random and have an opinion on everything, but I love everyone's aspect on things, even if I disagree. The world would be quite boring if not! :-)

2/16/2010

Update - Sorry So Late!

Hi all - I'm really sorry that I haven't given you all an update!

I went to the gastroenterologist last Wednesday for my appointment. He agreed with Weinstein that it sounded like an ulcer, so he scheduled me for an upper GI scope Thursday morning. I do have a medium duodenal (intestinal) ulcer, and I just need to deal with it until it heals up. I've had trouble eating off and on every day since I started feeling bad, with this past Sunday being the worst. For some reason, whenever my ulcer starts hurting really bad (after eating most foods), I get accompanying back pain. The back pain is worse than anything.. I remember the pain post surgeries for every surgery I've had, and this was by far worse. I spent all of Valentine's Day crying. I felt TERRIBLE!! The good news is though, that I haven't had that degree of back pain since, and I am able to tolerate a few more foods. So, it sounds like I'm healing, slowly but surely. I have a follow up next Wednesday, and he wants to do another scope on me in 6 weeks to make sure the ulcer has healed.

Poor John.. We've been dating for a year and two months. This Valentine's Day, he had to deal with me being a wreck, not being able to sit, lay down, or get in any comfortable position without cringing in pain... Last Valentine's Day, I had my gallbladder/intestinal hernia.. At least he didn't have to spend a fortune on taking me out to eat, since I still really can't eat much! LOL He's going to take me to the Melting Pot as soon as I'm able to hold food down though. I would feel like I'm breaking every sort of law in the land if I went before then! LOL This is my absolute favorite restaurant in the world! I also get to go to Benihana soon, b/c I got an email from them for my birthday coming up, and I get a free meal! Wahoo!

I'm down to 154 lbs. That's "NORMAL" on the BMI scale. Wow! I know that the minute I am able to eat again, it'll bounce back up, but it's nice to see that weight if only for a moment. I also keep in mind that if/when I get my extra skin removed, I'd be in the low 140's, and I am close to being too thin. I think my comfortable weight is 154-160 lbs.

John and I went to see the Lightning Thief movie yesterday since I was too ill to see it on V-Day. I liked it a lot, but he hated it. The difference? He read the books, and I did not. LOL

I hope everyone is braving the crazy weather that Mother Nature has brought on.. All of you East Coasters, please bundle up! It's unseasonably cold here too, but we won't go there.. It'd just make you all pissed off! LOL

I've been enjoying catching up on TV a bit.. and watching the Olympics. I love all of the wonderful stories that all of the athletes have, and the Canadian who won the first Gold Medal for his country made me cry.. He was so sweet, and I am so glad that the no Gold drought was broken for Canada. I LOVE Canada.. I've been there once and I would love to go again.. such a beautiful country with so many beautiful people! :) I loved watching the speed skating and seeing Apolo Ohno win again too! Wahoo!!

Anyway - I'll end this now because I am obviously rambling!
Take care, all of you! I will write again soon!
xoxo

3 comments:

MB said...

I'm glad you are feeling better and hope you get to enjoy your V-Day meal very soon. :)

Jil said...

Maybe I could go to th3 Melting Pot with John and then write an essay on it for you...then you wouldn't have to wait for your tummy to heal :)

SeaShore said...

I hope next Valentine's day is a better one! Glad you have a diagnosis & that you're on the mend.

I'm guessing you're 5'6"? I am, and I'm trying to get to 154, to see what 'normal' feels like! I suspect I'm better off where I am now, though, around 160 :)