About Gastric Girl
- Laurie (TheSafestScents.com)
- Tomball, TX, United States
- My name is Laurie. I'm 34 and I live in a suburb of Houston, TX. My life isn't super exciting or ultra dramatic, but I love it! My blogs are just a peek into my life as I know it. I'm quite random and have an opinion on everything, but I love everyone's aspect on things, even if I disagree. The world would be quite boring if not! :-)
I'm trying desperately to catch up reading blogs, and I really thought I should post one too.. I was so good for awhile there, posting every weekday! lol But lately, I'm doing craptastic at that too!
Anyways, here's the skinny from my POV... And I'll be catching up on all of you as soon as possible!!!
Weight - holding steady at 156 Still have 9 lbs to go to my ultimate goal, but not trying too hard to lose weight as much as just trying to become a little less jiggly! LOL
Life in General:
Had a lovely weekend.. I didn't nap this weekend at all, so maybe I'm coming out of my exhaustion just a smidge, even though I would just LOVE a nap right now! LOL
Friday night, we went to see the new Terminator movie.. Christian Bale is super easy on the eyes, so that helped make up for the fact that I've only seen Terminator 2.. I didn't care for it too much, but those movies aren't really my type of thing.. 3 of the 4 people that went really wanted to see it, so I just go with the flow! haha Saturday night we went to see Night At the Museum 2.. and that was very funny.. much more my type of film! :) Sunday, Jil's friend had a crawfish boil/bbq/pool party that we went to.. It was nice, but we didn't swim as the weather was kind of cruddy. I ate way too much, and just wanted to sleep later! LOL After that, we went to pick up the "man bowl" that I made for John at the pottery place... i must say, a 3 year old may have done a better job! hehe but he liked it at least! :) On Monday, we grilled at a friend's house and went swimming... I'm still a bright shade of white even though I was in the sun for 2 hours or so.. I must reflect the sun! LOL That was it in a nutshell for me this weekend..
Now it's back to work, being stressed, and living for the next weekend... SIGH!!!
We left the office around 10:45 and headed to Memorial City Mall.. We ate lunch at Beck's Prime and it was delicious!
- go to the "garden of olives" and find a clue.. which lead us to...
- Show your Texas Pride by putting a bumper sticker on your shirt, and take a picture with all team members with their stickers... in which we got another clue..
- One team member had to ride the carousel and get a picture... once we rode, we got another clue.
- I don't watch the show, but apparently there are "detours" where you pick one of two tasks.. one was Round 1-3 of Dance Dance Revolution, with pictures, or 2 team members had to do 5 laps around the ice skating rink (which is what we chose, thankfully I was not one of those members)
- Once we finished that, we had to do a memory game and solve a puzzle, and that gave us our next clue
- Run to Target, and write down prices for about 6 different items around the store. (one of the groups ahead of us played dirty and hid a few of the items and removed the price tags.. grr!!)
- Next, we had to run to the top of the Dillards parking garage, and sing a song while it was videotaped (we got Mickey by Toni Basil!) LOL
- After that, the man in our group had to take a picture wearing a veil from a bridal shop.. that was funny!
- Then we had to find a stranger that would let us paint their nails... I was the lucky painter, and the poor stranger was a good sport! LOL
- Then, we had to wear a hat, and have a stranger wear some funny glasses.... each of us had to find a different stranger to take a picture with.
- Then! one of our team members had to eat a bowl of spaghetti without utensils...
- Then, we had to rent a stroller and run back to the fire place by the skating rink.
If you know Memorial City Mall at all, you know that NONE of this stuff is near each other, so I got plenty of exercise yesterday! OMG! My knee was killing me towards the end and I was limping back to my car! We came in 4th place I think, as we got held up pretty bad with the ice skating event and the missing stuff at Target. It was a lot of fun though, and definitely a good workout! :)
But now... I'm a day further behind at work, and have lots to do!
I will post again later today or tomorrow.. hope everyone is doing great! :)
I'm still unbelievably busy at work, and I'm wondering when it's going to calm down a bit. Then, I started realizing that it's officially the "busy season" where I work.. so a long explanation short, it'll slow down in December! :( At least soon I will only have MY job, not training others. Hopefully! :)
I'm doing crappily on my challenge. I'm getting lots of movement and exercise in, but it's not all at the gym, so I feel like I'm cheating. Yeah, I know, I'm dumb sometimes.. but that's just how I am! Can't help it! LOL Yesterday my "activity" was trying on every item in my closet so my friend could tell me if it looked ok on me or if it was time for retirement. I was able to pass on a large lawn bag of clothing to someone in need (Kim J, I did look for you, but didn't have anything unfortunately! :( ).. Yeah, it was a pain in the butt, but my closet is already looking so much better now. Huzzah! Next week: Purses, shoes and my dresser purging... What fun will that be!? Anyone need purses or shoes? LOL I'm a size 8 in shoes.. may have some 8.5s.
I know it's Tuesday already, but didn't give my weekend update! haha Friday, John and I went to dinner at a little Vietnamese place... sooo yum and so healthy! Then, we went and had a few drinks with some of his work friends.. lol Spoiled that healthiness, didn't I? I DID go to the gym Friday and got a good elliptical session in though.. :)
Saturday, we slept till NOON! I told you guys I've been super exhausted lately, I wasn't kidding!! Soon after we got moving, we headed to Michelle's house for a Harry Potter marathon. I told you I've been reading the series.. I'm finally on Book 7, just one chapter into it, but still! So, we watched movies 2-4.. 5 I have at my house to watch, and 6 comes out in theaters next week.
Sunday, we went to brunch at Baba Yega. It was delicious.. A total waste, but delicious. They have a bad ass buffet, that I have passed over the other two times I've been there, but this time, I wanted to try it, damn it! I didn't get ill, and didn't overeat, and it was just wonderful! They had all sorts of yummy fruit and salad, a meat bar, eggs benedict and florentine, an omelet station, etc. I tried a tiny bit of almost everything. YUM! After that, I finished my HP book 6 that I was on, and took a nap.. You've got to freakin be kidding me... i feel like an old lady with all my naptimes in lately!!! Geez!
Well, that was my weekend in a nutshell? And how was YOUR weeekend? :-)
My personal projects for the week:
- Step up my challenge and feel good about what I'm doing for activity
- Step up my water drinking (I confess, there hasn't been ONE day where I've gotten 64 oz of water in post op)
- Try to find a little more balance with my activities. I'm running myself into the ground, and I don't like feeling like that!
Till tomorrow... I'm still working on catching up on my blog reading as well!
hugs to all! :)
Thanks to Susy at Shrinking Susy... for giving me this blog award! Susy is a fellow WLS'er as well, and she shares her days with us.. She's such a great person! If you have not checked her out yet, please do!
This award is a dedication for those who love blogging and love to encourage friendships through blogging.
* To seek the reasons why we all love blogging.
* Put the award in one post as soon as you receive it.
* Don't forget to mention the person who gives you the award.
* Answer the awards question by writing the reason why you love blogging.
* Tag and distribute the award to as many people as you like.
* Don't forget to notify the award receivers and put their links in your post.
********************Why I Love Blogging******************
I love blogging for many reasons... the main reason is because there is such a great little community of people that I feel close to, that I have never even met. We communicate through our blogs and our comments, and I consider these people my friends. I also blog to vent my frustrations with life in general... to be real about weight loss surgery... to hold myself accountable... to give and receive support... etc... the list can go on forever! :)
As far as tagging people goes... it's so hard to pick and choose people, so if you are reading this, consider yourself tagged! If I read your blog, know that you have touched my life in some way. If I haven't read your blog, let me know who you are so I can start reading! :) Also, take a look at the "My Peeps" section off to the right.. I know I need to update it a bit, but those are some of my favorite blogs! :)
Hope everyone is doing well.. thanks again Susy! :)
I want these bat wings gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok.. sorry, had to vent, and anyone else would think I'm crazy!!
heck, you all probably think I'm crazy too!!
Work is still crazy busy. We are at full staff again finally, but two are still in training, so it's still going to be crazy for the next month for me. Sigh... at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
My weekend was nice and relaxing. I got lots of walking in... We went to see Star Trek on Friday, and I am TOTALLY not a trekkie, but it was enjoyable. Back in the 80's when I was a kiddo, I went with my sister and some neighbors to see Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. There was a scene were some bug crawled out of somebody's ear.. It haunted me for weeks, and ever since I had not watched anything Star Trek because of that damn bug.. so I guess it wasn't for weeks that it haunted me... but decades!! Well, guess what made an appearance in the damn movie? LOL THE BUG, or whatever it was.. This time I closed my eyes.. Yes, I'm quite a bit older, but I still have crazy dreams.. Oompa Loompas and Smurfs will give me nightmares if I'm exposed to them too long! AHHH!! Anyways, back to the point.. With the exception of the bug, I really liked the movie.. There was humor in it, and the cast was good.
Saturday, we took my mom out for dinner at Pappasitos.. it's a really good Tex-Mex restaurant here in Houston.. It was quite tasty. Besides that on Saturday, I got a haircut, walked, napped, and read Harry Potter book 5.
Sunday, John and I went to Central Market so he could see the Wall of Beer... I added some beers to the cart for him to try, and we just walked around the store quite a bit.. It was crowded, and that's always a good place to people watch, which is one of my hobbies.. lol... After that.. I napped.. and read Harry Potter book 5. Seeing the pattern here?
Anyways... I'm still exhausted!! I failed my challenge yesterday b/c I didn't even make it in to work. I made up for last Thursday's miss, and I will make up for today's... I know overall the challenge was a bust for me, but I'm keeping up with it anyways for me! :)
I am WAY WAY WAY behind on reading blogs... I will try to catch up soon.. I miss reading and feel so out of the loop! :(
Day 9 was the elliptical at the gym.. I'm starting to get bored with it, so I am doing different programs on it, only to find out they're kicking my ass! LOL OR maybe the 12 hours I had at work before going to the gym kicked my ass?
Day 10... was.... a FAILURE! I didn't get my 30 minutes in. I was at work from 7:45 am - 9:30 pm last night, and I was starting to feel dizzy so I left work before I should have even. I got up and down to make a lot of copies, but that's hardly activity. Soo... I failed the challenge! BUT, I am going to keep up with the final days and even make up my 30 minutes from yesterday.
Aside from the challenge, I'm completely and utterly exhausted.. I had 45 hours before stepping into the office today, and I still have a full day today as well. At least I will be able to pay off another credit card this month, that's definitely a saving grace.
All I have to say is that I am sooo ready for this weekend. I will work on my challenge, making up my time with that, and also getting some much needed rest. I'm going to a movie tonight, waking up early and getting a haircut tomorrow, then mother's day dinner on Saturday (my mom doesn't want to deal with crowds on Sunday! ha!), and Sunday we're taking John's mom out for Mother's Day, I THINK! So, doesn't sound like I'll be getting much rest now, does it? LOL
I will try to catch up on blogs soon.. I literally haven't had time to think all week! :(
hugs to all!
Honestly - I think I'll be happy with whoever wins this season. Who do I really want to win? MIKE. I was a Ron hater at first.. but last night changed my mind. He FINISHED a marathon! The fact that he did that, when he was hurting, when he has quit almost every other challenge (that I've seen at least), WOW! I was in awe that he finished it. And Max.. dear Max. I am so proud of him as well. I really hope he ends up on the show next season. If not though, I think that Mike will do whatever it takes to help his brother. I think I was in tears for half the episode.. it was quite heart touching last night!!
Bob or Jillian? I'd love either.. But, Jillian would kick my ass, and that's what I need. Bob is amazing too though... The opportunity to be trained by either of them would rock!!
Tara really deserves to win too... She is absolutely amazing.. I didn't like her at first, but I started to in the last few episodes. She is really determined!
Helen... While she is great, she just whines too much for me. I don't dig whiners. She has come a very long way though and is truly awe inspiring!!
Anyways - that's it in a nutshell for TBL!
As far as life in general goes for me... STRESSFUL!!!! I had a nightmare last night that I couldn't fit in my size 8 dress for my friend's wedding... it fits PERFECT now, and I'm just terrified I'm going to gain some weight and not be able to wear it.. almost to the point where I want to exchange it! AHHHHH!!!! I know I need to use this as a carrot dangled in front of me. Making these next four months amazing and even losing my last 10 pounds.. totally doable, quite possibly. I'm just terrified of the possible weight gain since I'm 19 months out almost. All of this working out makes me RAVENOUS!!! UGH!
Ok, venting done for now... I'm sure I'll be venting a lot more later though! LOL
I did listen to my Gym Medlies playlist on iTunes... was dancing (or lack thereof) around a bit as I sorted.. and before I knew it, 30 minutes was up. I want to finish my project, but it's 11:30 almost.. i worked almost 12 hours today, and had a very rough day.. but I do feel accomplished.
A few discoveries in my closet:
- I own a ghastly amount of purses. Thanks to Jil, my collection is even larger... and needs to be purged!
- I own an even ghastlier amount of shoes! Again.. thanks to Jil!
- I've become a bit of a sweater whore post RNY. I have a TON of sweaters... I think I should pack these up until the weather cools down again... Houston evenings stay muggy and humid.
- I need to try on a ton of clothes to see if they still fit me or fit me now... I had a lot of clothes given to me by one of my friends... So, between the clothes I've purchased and what she's given me, I have a variety of sizes. I am getting rid of anything too big, because I don't want to grow back into them!
- I have very interesting taste in clothes.. I don't know how to describe it. Maybe American Eagle meets Calvin Klein? lol
Ok... I need to get my ass to bed. Another long day tomorrow, and you all are probably sick of hearing from me! haha
Just my little re-introduction....
My name is Laurie, and I had RNY Gastric Bypass surgery on 10/15/07. That makes me almost 19 months out. I am almost at goal (within 10 pounds), and those 10 pounds are the hardest to get rid of ever! This blog is mostly my journal through life. It's not always about surgery or weight loss, but a good chunk of it is.. mainly because I obsess about things! LOL
Since losing 155 pounds, I have gained so much in the way of self esteem and self confidence. My main issues now are seeing the loss in the mirror, as I still have "fat girl mentality", and of course dealing with those last 10 pounds.
Well, that's it for now... I'm still at work! GRR!
Kim at Thoughts by Kim nominated me for the Attitude of Gratitude Award. Thanks, Kim!
Here are her instructions:
* Nominate at least 10 blogs that show an an attitude of gratitude
* Link to your nominees within your post
* Comment on their blogs to let them know they've received this award
* Share the love & link to this post & the person who nominated you for the award
* Tell us how you've come to have an attitude of gratitude
These are my 10 Attitude of Gratitude award nominees, in no particular order! All of these ladies have awesome attitudes! I admire them very much! Honestly, I want to award ALL of the blogs I read, but I'm unfortunately only listing 10! Also, I've seen several of you get one of these already... geez, it makes this a challenge! hehehe
- Janine at http://journeytoaminime.blogspot.com/
- Christine at http://greentshirt.blogspot.com/
- Kim at http://knitten-kittens.com/
- Liza at http://bariatricbabe.blogspot.com/
- Tiffany at http://changeisgood2.blogspot.com/
- Jil at http://justjil.wordpress.com/
- Debbie at http://throughthicknthin.blogspot.com/
- Julie at http://julieac4.blogspot.com/
- Laurie at http://laurie-metamorphosis.blogspot.com/
- Felicia at http://www.djfsmith.com/f/
It's Challenge Day 7.. I've officially made it one week! Only 23 to go! WOO HOO!!
I just got back from the gym.. tonight's activity was.. yes, you guessed it.. the elliptical! I did the interval training tonight, and that punk made me pedal backwards, and I'm not used to doing that crap. So, I got a really really good workout.. ha! I burned 300 calories in 30 minutes.. Doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm cool with it! hehe
Tonight after work I got my monthly massage at Massage Envy. It felt so nice getting my poor, sore, tired muscles and extra skin rubbed... lol It's all in vain though b/c I'm going to be putting the poor lil muscles through hell again tomorrow at the gym.. Today was my off day as far as weights go, b/c i've read countless times that muscles rebuild themselves on their "off" days..
Anyways.. I'm off to shower and try to catch up on my Harry Potter reading.. I'm still only in book 5, and my mom is already 2/3 through book 7!
Friday after work, I went to the gym with one of my friends from work. I did my 30 minutes on the elliptical plus weight training on my arms. Wow, my poor arms felt like jelly! Afterwards I went to John's and we walked to a restaurant really close to his apartment and had sushi/hibachi for dinner.. YUM! He had me try something new.. OCTOPUS! And it was actually pretty good... I fought him on it a bit, b/c I could see the tentacles and was freaking out, but I had a small, tentacle free piece, and it was good! LOL After that, we watched Taken.. it was REALLY good.
Saturday was an errand day.. I got lots of walking in throughout the day, at least 30-45 minutes worth, so I'm keeping up with my challenge! WOO HOO! Saturday evening, I went with my friend Michelle to the Hard Rock Cafe with some of her friends from Louisiana, and then we went to the Fleetwood Mac concert. It was a good show!
Sunday, John and I went to the gym..... repeat Friday, except this time I did legs and arms for weights since Saturday had no weight training. I'm starting to find muscles... Huzzah!!!! After the gym, we went to go see Wolverine. I really, really liked it! It's hard not to like a movie with Hugh Jackman in it, right? hehe
So far, so good with the 30x30 challenge. This week will be really tough because I'll be working at least 45-55 hours, but if I can make it through this week, I'll be unstoppable! I'll be catching up on reading blogs today as I am able to, and tonight as well! :)
Hope all is well with everyone! :)