About Gastric Girl

My photo
Tomball, TX, United States
My name is Laurie. I'm 34 and I live in a suburb of Houston, TX. My life isn't super exciting or ultra dramatic, but I love it! My blogs are just a peek into my life as I know it. I'm quite random and have an opinion on everything, but I love everyone's aspect on things, even if I disagree. The world would be quite boring if not! :-)

2/22/2009

Gallstones, Hernias, Surgery, OH MY!

Hello ladies and gents,
I am back from the hospital! Thanks to everyone for your well wishes, and thanks to Jil for keeping you all updated!
As I had posted last week, I've been having a lot of stomach aches. Apparently, you shouldn't dismiss that as gas! I called Dr. W on Tuesday afternoon to make an appointment, and of course he was booked solid. I just asked his nurse if he could try to fit me in, and she asked what was wrong, and then called Dr. W, who instructed me to go to the emergency room immediately! I started panicking, and was still at work, so I had to go tell my boss that I might not be in the next day, and then went home to grab a few things. My friend Michelle picked me up at home, and took me to the hospital. They ran lots of labwork on me, and followed my surgeons testing protocol to see what's wrong. After my CATscan, it was revealed that I had gallstones. I was admitted, and then finally got my room around 1:30 AM.
Wednesday morning, Dr. W came in to see me, and asked me to describe all my pain (shooting pains feeling like gas, lasting about 4-10 hours after eating in my 3 worst occasions, constant full feeling, no pain relief from gas x, etc.).. he then pushed on my stomach in a few places, and some hurt.. he then said that I was the proud owner of a hernia! A GI Doctor then came to see me, and I told the same story, and he told me the same thing. Basically, the pain I described can be one of three things - gallbladder (check!), hernia (check!), or an ulcer (thankfully, not!). I then got a HIDA scan, and it revealed that my gallbladder was not inflamed at the moment, so the culprit of the pain was the hernia. While I was in the HIDA scan, Dr. J came to visit me. He's another surgeon that does RNY/Lap Band, etc. He told me that I was going to have surgery at 5pm to fix my hernia and to remove the gallbladder.. it wasn't bothering me now, and as I needed to have the hernia repaired, they might as well remove the gallbladder. While I was finding all of this out, I was still in the HIDA Scan, where I could not move. What a way to find out you're going under the knife in just 3 short hours!!
As soon as I got back to my room, I lost it.. I started crying, freaking out.. I know it's a normal surgery, but the whole hernia thing really freaked me out. I know they can get really bad, and I know if I hadn't gone to the doctor, that I would be in much worse shape, and who knows what could have happend! I just had everything running through my mind at that moment and was panicking again! I called several people and got the chain going so everyone would find out. I got to see my mom and Michelle as I was getting rolled into the operating room, and when I got out, I got to see them as well as Jil and my boyfriend John! :) My mom hadn't gotten to meet John yet, so what great circumstances to, right? LOL
Everything went well with the surgery. I had a lot of scar tissue from my RNY, which is to be expected. The one risk that I was most nervous about (strangulated intestines) was the one I got.. Go figure! The surgery was about two longer than he told me it would be. I ended up getting to my room around 10 pm, when I went in around 5.
Here it is, Sunday morning.. and I'm feeling pretty good, but I am sore. Yesterday I was in a lot of pain, mostly gas pain. My stomach is still quite swollen, and I am about to meet my boyfriend's family, and wondering what the heck I'm going to wear that isn't going to kill my incisions.. lol I get to go back to work on Wednesday (WHOO HOO!)
Sorry for the rambling with everything.. I'm not a great writer, and just say things as I think them! :-P I hope everyone is well, and thanks again for all of the well wishes!
Hugs to all!
Laurie

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an ordeal! I'm so glad you got the two-for-one package deal though! Glad you're feeling better today too!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you're okay!

Donna said...

So glad you're on the mend. I know it must have been scarey! :) Now, just focus on getting totally well!

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

Oh, golly ... best wishes to you.

Heather said...

And I thought I had a rough week? I'm so sorry you had such an ordeal but I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better. I'm certain you'll be back to (better than) normal very soon.

Thank you, so much, for keeping everyone informed.

Take care of yourself!

Kim H. said...

Feel better girlfriend! I'm sorry you had to go through such a mess, but it had to at least be a little bit comforting to know that you were in capable medical hands. :-) I'm so glad that Dr. W is responsive and will send you on if he can't get to you... I can't imagine what would have happened if you had waited to see him at the office instead.

Anonymous said...

Gladder than glad my dear that you are home and doing well...I always like to throw weird grammer usage in with my well wishing...lol

xoxo...Jil